INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU REQUEST A DEOCS ASSESSMENT
1. What is a DEOCS?
|The Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI) Organizational Climate Survey (DEOCS) is a confidential, command-requested organization development survey focusing on issues of equal opportunity and organizational effectiveness.|
2. Who administers the DEOCS?
|The DEOCS program is managed and administered by the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI).|
3. What does the DEOCS Survey look like?
|The core survey contains 69 items, but military personnel will need to complete only 62 items. Approximately half the items address EO/EEO issues, the remainder address organizational and demographic areas. In all, the DEOCS measures 17 climate factors: seven EO/EEO, four SAPR factors, and six OE factors. The EO/EEO and OE factors are measured on a five-point scale. The SAPR factors are measured on a variety of response scales. A sample of the survey is available for download from this site. Commanders can also elect to add up to ten (10) locally developed questions (LDQs) and five (5) short answer question (SAQs).|
4. Tell me more about the ten (10) locally developed questions and how they can be added to the survey?
|You can select Locally Developed Questions from our "Download Sample Locally Developed Question List" option or create your own. Make sure you have the locally developed questions you want to add to the survey prior to making your request for DEOCS. All questions added to the survey must be approved by the requesting commander. The locally developed questions are presented in a way that a person can respond to them using a five point response scale. The scale used for locally developed questions is:|
- Totally Agree
- Moderately Agree
- Neither Agree Nor Disagree
- Moderately Disagree
- Totally Disagree
5. Will the Commander receive a report? If so, what will the report look like?
|You will be able to request the report one day after the survey stop date. Sign into your Survey Administrator Assistance System (SAAS) account and click on "request/download report." It will take 24hrs for the report to be generated. Sign back into your SAAS account, click on "add/download report" and then on "download now." Print and save the report. Also, you must provide the Commander with a copy as we do not forward the report to the Commander. A Sample of the DEOCS report is available for review at this site.|
6. Who can request a DEOCS?
|The survey is available to Department of Defense agencies. The survey is administered by request of a unit Commander, and feedback concerning results is provided to the requesting Commander. Commanders can authorize a responsible member, preferably an equal opportunity advisor (EOA, CMEO, EOR, MEO, etc), within their unit to make the request on their behalf. This authorization is handled through the "Commander Consent Verification" process that is completed when making a request for DEOCS.|
7. What is a Survey Administrator?
|The Survey Administrator in most cases is the requestor of the DEOCS assessment. The Survey Administrator is usually a DEOMI trained equal opportunity advisor or someone who is serving as the EO advisor to the Commander. However, anyone directed by the requesting Commander can serve as the Survey Administrator. The Survey Administrator is responsible for overseeing the assessment process to include requesting, receiving, and passing out bubble response sheets and/or online survey password letters. Upon approval of a DEOCS request, the Survey Administrator will receive an email with additional information. They will also be given access to a site developed specifically to assist them with their assessment from beginning to end.|
8. What is the "Commander Consent Verification" and, why is it required?
|It is common for a unit Commander to request a DEOCS be conducted through their responsive EO advisor or responsible agent. Because the DEOCS is an assessment for a commander, it is necessary for the requestor to acknowledge he/she has: (1) obtained consent by the Commander to request the assessment, and (2) obtained consent by the Commander to receive the DEOCS report.|
9. Is it possible to request a DEOCS without obtaining the Commander's consent?
|No. The Commander of the unit requesting the DEOCS must be aware of the request. The individual requesting the DEOCS will have to verify that he/she obtained Commander consent.|
10. Once a request for DEOCS is made does the Commander receive notification?
|Yes. Upon approval of a request for a DEOCS assessment, an email is forwarded to the Commander acknowledging the request and the name of the requestor. The Commander does not need to reply to the email notification if they are aware of the DEOCS and grant authorization to the requestor.|
11. Why do I have to provide my Commander's Supervisors information? (Not applicable to USCG)
|The Secretary of Defense released a Sexual Assault Prevention and Response memo dated 6 May 2013. This memo levies an additional requirement on all Commanders that conduct a Command Climate Surveys. The requirement states:
Enhancing Commander Accountability: To enhance accountability and improve insight into subordinate command climate, the USD (P&R) shall require that the results of FY13 National Defense Authorization Act-mandated annual command climate surveys will now also be provided to the next level up in the chain of command.|
12. What is DEOMI doing to meet the SECDEF requirement to Enhancing Commander Accountability?
|To ensure this requirement is being met, DEOMI has enabled couple new features to its Command Climate survey request form and notification emails.|
- 1) Survey administrators will now enter the Commander' Supervisors (the next level up in the chain of command) information in their DEOCS request.
- 2) Once the request has been approved, the Commander's Supervisor will receive an email notification (from the system) that a command climate survey has been requested by whatever command. This notification is in addition to the normal Commander's notification and Administrator approval/account info email.
- 3) Upon survey completion and the report being generated, the Commander's Supervisor, requesting Commander, and the survey Administrator will all receive a notification email stating the survey has completed and the report has been generated. This email will also include the Administrator account information so both the Commander's Supervisor and requesting Commander can access the system and retrieve the PDF survey report.
13. How many people do I need to have assigned to my unit to conduct a DEOCS?
|The DEOCS is a unit level assessment tool. A minimum of 16 responses are required to generate a DEOCS report. Requests for DEOCS with less than 16 assigned personnel will not be processed. If you have less than 16 assigned personnel, then an alternative method such as interviews or focus groups should be used.|
14. What is the difference between print passwords and email passwords?
When conducting an on-line DEOCS, the unit has two options for passwords to allow unit members to take the survey. The first option is "Print Passwords." This type of password is used by smaller units and allows every member of the unit to receive an individual unique password. Print Passwords requires the administrator to print out all passwords for unit members and distribute them.
"Email Passwords" are computer generated passwords similar to the Print Passwords; however, the entire unit receives the same password. Email Passwords are used by larger units and do not require administrators to print them out. Instead, they can be emailed to all members of the unit. If you are conducting a DEOCS with sub breakouts, then the administrator will receive a single password for each breakout.
15. What information will I need to have available when I make a DEOCS request?
|You will need the following information to complete the DEOCS request form:|
- Unit Identification Code (UIC) (USN, USMC, & USA Only)
- Personal Accounting Symbol (PAS) (USAF Only)
- Operational Facilities (OPFAC) (USCG Only)
- Mailing address for organization
- Branch of Service
- Service Component
- Name/rank/grade of Survey Administrator
- Email of Survey Administrator
- DSN Phone Number of Survey Administrator
- Commercial Phone Number of Survey Administrator
- Name/rank/grade of Commander/Director
- E-mail of Commander/Director
- Name/rank/grade of Commander's Supervisor (Not applicable to USCG)
- E-mail of Commander's Supervisor (Not applicable to USCG)
- Number and type of Passwords required to take online survey
- Number of Bubble Response Sheets to take Paper Survey
- Ten Locally Developed Questions (LDQ) selected (OPTIONAL)
- Five Short Answer Questions (SAQ) selected (OPTIONAL)
16. Can there be more than one Survey Administrator for the same unit?
|No. There can only be one "official" Survey Administrator for each DEOCS request made.|
17. What different options are available to complete the DEOCS survey?
|You have three survey options available to you. (1) You can have individuals complete the survey online from any computer that has an internet connection. (2) You can have individuals complete the survey in paper form. (3) You can use a combination of the online and paper form for the same unit.|
a. How does the online survey option work?
|The first thing you need to know is how many individuals you want to complete the online survey. You need this number because this is the number of online survey password letters or authorizations you will be asking for when you complete the DEOCS request form. If you want 100 of your personnel to take the survey online then you ask for 100 online survey passwords. This applies to both "email passwords" and "print passwords." Upon approval of your DEOCS request, a file with the number of "print password" letters you requested will be made available to you. You can download, print, and hand them out. Each letter contains a different password along with instructions on where to go to take the survey. The print password access code can only be used by one person to complete a survey. Once it has been used it becomes invalid. It is very important that you never make a copy of an existing password letter. "Email Passwords" are sent to your directly to the Administrator's email system and from there they can email them to all members of the unit. If you are conducting a DEOCS with sub breakouts, then the administrator will receive a single password for each breakout. You will have the opportunity to request additional survey password letters anytime you need to. You will also need to establish the timeframe you want individuals to take the survey online. When making your DEOCS request you will be asked for the Start and Stop dates for your online survey. Remember to give yourself enough time to receive the password letters, download and pass them out, and ample time for individuals to complete the survey. At a minimum, your Start date should be no earlier than five workdays from the date of your request. You should establish a Stop date no earlier than 30 days from your established Start date. A smaller unit may want to establish a Stop date no earlier than 21 days from your established Start date. You have the ability to modify your Stop date anytime you need to.|
b. How does the paper survey option work?
|The first thing you need to know is how many individuals you want to complete the survey in paper form. You need this number because that is the number of bubble response sheets you will be asking for when you make your DEOCS request. Each individual completing a survey will be provided a SCANTRON bubble response sheet. The SCANTRON bubble sheets are mailed to you within 72 hours after your request for DEOCS has been approved. They are mailed to the
address you provide in the DEOCS request form. Once you receive the SCANTRON bubble response sheets you pass them out along with a copy of the DEOCS survey and individuals complete them. You then forward only the bubble sheets answers back to us for processing, the administrator keeps all the comments and processes them at the unit.|
c. How does the combination of using the online and paper survey options work?
|The instructions locations in question 17a - b apply. If you have 100 individuals participating in the DEOCS assessment and you want 50 to take the survey online and 50 to take the paper version then you provide this information on the DEOCS request form and distribute online passwords and paper surveys and bubble sheets as required.|
18. (PAPER VERSION) What method of mailing is used to send the SCANTRON bubble response sheets?
|DEOMI will send bubble response sheets using First Class Mail (USPS) at no cost to the unit. If you want to use Federal Express, it is paid by your command and is only available if an active FedEx account number has been provided on the DEOCS request form.|
19. (PAPER VERSION) What do I do once I receive the SCANTRON bubble response sheets from you in the mail?
|By the time you receive the bubble response sheets, you will have received an email providing you with instructions of how to enter your SAAS. You will enter the site and download the paper DEOCS survey created specifically for your unit. This survey has minor differences from the sample papers survey located on the site, so ensure you only use the paper survey developed within your SAAS. If you requested locally developed questions, they will appear to the end of your standard DEOCS. Once downloaded, reproduce the number of surveys you need. Take the SCANTRON bubble response sheets and provide one DEOCS survey and one SCANTRON bubble response sheet to each individual taking the survey. DO NOT MAKE COPIES OF THE SCANTRON BUBBLE RESPONSE SHEETS. If you need more, contact us. Copies will not be accepted. REMEMBER TO:|
- Maintain the confidentiality of all survey materials and response forms.
- Do not place individual names on any of the materials.
- Administer the survey in a non-threatening environment.
- Do not encourage respondents to answer in a certain way.
- Stress that honesty is important.
- Timeliness of administration is important.
- Inform respondents to use black/blue ink or a #2 lead pencil and erase any stray marks.
- Inform respondents to provide one response per question and to not fold, staple, or damage the response sheet.
- Once administration is complete, collect SCANTRON bubble response sheets and return them to DEOMI.
- If you have breakouts, then separate each stack of SCANTRON bubble sheets accordingly before mailing to DEOMI.
20. (PAPER VERSION) What address do I use to mail the SCANTRON bubble response sheets?
|Return all response sheets (used and unused), to:
366 TUSKEGEE AIRMEN DRIVE
PATRICK AFB, FL 32925
21. The commander wants to break up the overall unit into different sections so he/she can receive a separate report for the different sections. How do we accomplish this?
|You will need to determine how you want the DEOCS administered prior to making your request. It is common for a Commander to want a separate report for each unit, group, department, or section within the organization. You accomplish this by selecting "Yes" when asked the question, "Does your command require individual sub breakout surveys" on the request form. You will then indicate how many separate reports and input the "Name/Title" of the unit, group, department, or section.|
22. Will a combined report of the four individual surveys be provided?
|Yes. You will receive reports for the individual breakouts and one overall report for the entire DEOCS.|
23. How do I get my final DEOCS report when we are finished with survey administration?
|Once the Stop date arrives, you can request the report the next day (login to your SAAS and select "Request/download Report"). The report(s) will be available for download in the same location 24 hours later. Print and save the report to your computer.|
24. How long will it take for me to get my final report?
|Once you make your request through your SAAS, the report(s) will be ready for you to download within 24 hours.|
25. Is the DEOCS the same as the Command Climate Survey that is used by the Army or the Unit Climate Assessment that is used by the Air Force?
|No. The DEOCS is not the same survey as those used within a specific service. The DEOCS is a Department of Defense assessment can be used by any service, to include the US Coast Guard.|
26. Did the DEOCS replace the MEOCS and the SUEOCS? If so, what are the main differences?
|Yes. The DEOCS replaced all other surveys provided by DEOMI. Extensive study, research, and customer feedback concluded previous surveys were too long. Additionally, a required update of the associated questions was made.|
27. I received the following message when trying to request the final report "send survey data"?
|This is a combination survey. The system is waiting for the paper surveys to be process by DEOMI to combine them into the report. You must send the paper surveys to be process in order to request the final report. If no paper survey were used, please contact DEOCS Support to trigger the report.|
28. I received the Scantrons answer sheets but not the questionnaire?
|Log in to your SAAS at www.deocs.net/saas, review your assessment profile to make sure all the information is correct. On the side menu, select "Print Paper Survey" to obtain the survey and reproduce as needed. If you did not receive your SAAS information via email, contact DEOCS Support.|
29. How can I request more passwords?
|You can request more passwords from your SAAS. Log into your account and go to "add/download passwords" then click on "add more passwords" to increase authorizations or passwords. You can change the number of distributed passwords to reflect the correct percentage. Also, the extra passwords will not reflect on the final the report.|
30. What is the completion rate to receive a meaningful report?
|The DEOCS averages a 50% - 60% return rate. DEOMI does not recommend any specific percentage to determine a report as meaningful. A unit will have meaningful information with a survey completion rate of 40%. Remember that the higher the completion rate, the higher the confidence level of your unit’s perception, feels and opinions.|
31. I am trying to conduct the survey and the passwords are not working?
|The passwords will not work until the survey start date entered on the initial request is reached. You can modify the start date to activate the passwords.|
32. What do I do if I still have questions?
|Call the DEOCS Support team at DSN 854-2675/4217 or commercial at (321) 494-2675/4217, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Request New Assessment