INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU REQUEST A DEOCS ASSESSMENT
**The paper survey option is not available at the present time**
1. What is a DEOCS?
|The Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI) Organizational Climate Survey (DEOCS) is a confidential, command-requested organization development survey focusing on issues of equal opportunity and organizational effectiveness.|
2. Who administers the DEOCS?
|The DEOCS program is managed and administered by the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI).|
3. What does the DEOCS Survey look like?
|The core survey contains 95 items/questions. That number can vary depending on demographic selections in the beginning of the survey. The survey has four major groupings; Equal Opportunity (EO)/Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Fair Treatment, Organizational Effectiveness (OE), Perceptions of Discrimination/Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault Prevention & Response (SAPR). These four major groups divide up into 23 overall question factors. The majority of questions are measured on a four-point scale. The SAPR factors are measured on a variety of response scales. A sample of the survey is available for download from this site. Commanders have the option to add up to ten (10) locally developed questions (LDQs) and five (5) short answer question (SAQs).|
4. Tell me more about the ten (10) locally developed questions and how they can be added to the survey?
|You can select locally developed questions from our "Download Sample Locally Developed Question List" option or create your own. Make sure you have the locally developed questions you want to add to the survey prior to making your request for DEOCS. All questions added to the survey must be approved by the requesting commander. The locally developed questions are presented in such a way that a person can respond to them using a four point response scale. The scale used for locally developed questions is as follows:|
- Strongly disagree
- Strongly Agree
5. What response scale is used in the DEOCS?
|The DEOCS uses a four-point (Strongly Disagree – Strongly Agree) scale for all Organizational Effectiveness and Equal Opportunity climate factors. This scale was adopted because responses of “Neither Agree nor Disagree” formerly available in the five-point DEOCS 3.3.5 scale allowed respondents to select a non-committal answer that did not provide leaders with any actionable information. The four-point scale, on the other hand, requires respondents to respond positively or negatively to every item; a predominance of either response will materially influence the climate factor average, helping leaders better identify organizational strengths that reflect policies and practices that members perceive as fair and sensible, and organizational concerns that require additional scrutiny.|
- Strongly disagree
- Strongly Agree
6. Who can request a DEOCS?
|The survey is available to all Department of Defense (DoD) agencies and administered by request of the unit commander/director. DEOCS results are provided to the requesting commander, however, access to the account is also provided to the survey administrator and the commander’s supervisor upon generation of the DEOCS report. Commanders can authorize a responsible member, preferably an equal opportunity advisor (EOA, CMEO, EOR, MEO, etc.), within their unit to make the request on their behalf. This authorization is handled through the "Commander Consent Verification" process that is completed when making a request for DEOCS.|
7. What is a survey administrator?
|The survey administrator, in most cases, is the requestor of the DEOCS assessment. The survey administrator is usually a DEOMI trained equal opportunity advisor or someone who is serving as the EO advisor to the commander. However, anyone directed by the requesting commander can serve as the survey administrator. The survey administrator is responsible for overseeing the assessment process to include requesting, receiving, and distributing bubble response sheets and/or online survey password letters. Upon approval of a DEOCS request, the survey administrator will receive an email with additional information. He/she will also be give access to an administrative management site developed specifically to assist with the assessment from beginning to end.|
8. Can contractors take the DEOCS?
|No. The guidance speaking to contractors is located in DoDM 8910.01-V2, June 30, 2014 Section (4), page 17. Contractors with the federal government are considered to be members of the public for information collection purposes, and OMB approval is required to collect information from them.|
9. What is the "Commander Consent Verification" and why is it required?
|It is common for a unit commander to have the DEOCS conducted through the EO advisor or responsible agent. Because the DEOCS is an assessment for a commander, it is necessary for the requestor to acknowledge he/she has (1) obtained consent by the commander to request the assessment and (2) obtained consent from the commander to receive the DEOCS report.|
10. Is it possible to request a DEOCS without obtaining the Commander's consent?
|No. The commander of the unit requesting the DEOCS must be aware of the request. The individual requesting the DEOCS will have to verify that he/she obtained commander consent.|
11. Once a request for DEOCS is made, does the Commander receive notification?
|Yes. Upon approval of a request for a DEOCS assessment, an email is forwarded to the commander and commander’s supervisor acknowledging the request and the name of the requestor. The commander does not need to reply to the email notification if he/she is aware of the DEOCS and grants authorization to the requestor.|
12. Why do I have to provide my Commander’s Supervisors information?
|The Secretary of Defense released a Sexual Assault Prevention and Response memo dated 6 May 2013. This memo levies an additional requirement on all commanders who conduct command climate surveys. The requirement states the following:|
Enhancing Commander Accountability: To enhance accountability and improve insight into subordinate command climate, the USD (P&R) shall require that the results of FY13 National Defense Authorization Act-mandated annual command climate surveys will now also be provided to the next level up in the chain of command.
13. What is DEOMI doing to meet the SECDEF requirement to enhance commander accountability?
|To ensure this requirement is being met, DEOMI has enabled couple new features to its Command Climate survey request form and notification emails.|
- 1) Survey administrators will now enter the commander's supervisors (the next level up in the chain of command) information in their DEOCS request.
- 2) Once the request has been approved, the commander's supervisor will receive an email notification (from the system) that a command climate survey has been requested by the command. This notification is in addition to the normal commander's notification and administrator approval/account info email.
- 3) Upon survey completion and the report being generated, the commander's supervisor, requesting commander, and the survey administrator will all receive a notification email stating the survey has been completed and the report has been generated. This email will also include the administrator account information so both the commander's supervisor and requesting commander can access the system and retrieve the PDF survey report.
14. How many people do I need to have assigned to my unit to conduct a DEOCS?
|The DEOCS is a unit level assessment tool. A minimum of 16 responses are required to generate a DEOCS report. Requests for DEOCS in units with fewer than 16 assigned personnel will not be processed. If you have less than 16 assigned personnel, then an alternative method such as interviews or focus groups should be used.|
15. What is the difference between print passwords and email passwords?
When conducting an on-line DEOCS, the unit has two options for passwords to allow unit members to take the survey. The first option is "Print Passwords." This type of password is used by smaller units and allows every member of the unit to receive an individual unique password. Print Passwords requires the administrator to print out all passwords for unit members and distribute them.
"Email Passwords" are computer generated passwords similar to the Print Passwords; however, the entire unit receives the same password. Email Passwords are used by larger units and do not require administrators to print them out. Instead, they can be emailed to all members of the unit. If you are conducting a DEOCS with sub breakouts, then the administrator will receive a single password for each breakout.
16. What information will I need to have available when I make a DEOCS request?
|You will need the following information to complete the DEOCS request form:|
- Unit Identification Code (UIC) (USN, USMC, & USA Only)
- Personal Accounting Symbol (PAS) (USAF Only)
- Operational Facilities (OPFAC) (USCG Only)
- Mailing address for organization
- Branch of service
- Service component
- Name/rank/grade/email of survey administrator
- DSN phone number of survey administrator
- Commercial phone number of survey administrator
- Name/rank/grade/email of commander/director
- Name/rank/grade/email of commander’s supervisor
- Number and type of passwords required to take online survey
- Ten locally developed questions (LDQs) selected (OPTIONAL)
- Five short-answer questions (SAQs) selected (OPTIONAL)
17. Can there be more than one Survey Administrator for the same unit?
|No. There can only be one "official" survey administrator for each DEOCS request made.|
18. What different options are available to complete the DEOCS survey?
Currently, the survey is only available using the online version.
19. How does the online survey option work?
|The first thing you need to know is how many individuals you want to complete the online survey. You need this number because this is the number of online survey password letters or authorizations you will ask for when you complete the DEOCS request form. If you want 100 of your personnel to take the survey online, then you ask for 100 online survey passwords. This applies to both email passwords and print passwords. Upon approval of your DEOCS request, a file with the number of print password letters you requested will be made available to you. You can download, print, and distribute them. Each letter contains a different password along with instructions on where to go to take the survey. Each print password access code can only be used by one person to complete a survey. Once it has been used it becomes invalid. Email passwords are sent directly to the administrator’s email and from there, he/she can email them to all members of the unit. If you are conducting a DEOCS with sub-unit breakouts, the administrator will receive a single password for each breakout. You will have the opportunity to request additional survey password letters anytime you need to. You will also need to establish the timeframe you want individuals to take the survey online. When making your DEOCS request you will be asked for the Start and Stop dates for your online survey. Remember to give yourself enough time to receive the password letters, download and distribute them, and allow ample time for individuals to complete the survey. At a minimum, your Start date should be no earlier than five workdays from the date of your request. You should establish a Stop date no earlier than 30 days from your established start date. A smaller unit may want to establish a stop date no earlier than 21 days from the established start date. You have the ability to modify your stop date anytime you need to.|
20. The commander wants to break up the overall unit into different sections so he/she can receive a separate report for the different sections. How do we accomplish this?
|You will need to determine how you want the DEOCS administered prior to making your request. It is common for a commander to want a separate report for each subordinate unit, group, department, or section within the organization. You accomplish this by selecting "Yes" when asked the question, "Does your command require individual sub breakout surveys" on the request form. You will then indicate how many separate reports and input the "Name/Title" of the unit, group, department, or section.|
21. Will an overall combined report for sub-breakouts be provided?
|Yes. You will receive reports for the individual breakouts (if they have at least 16 completed surveys) and one overall report for the entire DEOCS.|
22. How do I get my final DEOCS report when we are finished with survey administration?
|Once the report(s) is generated, ensure you print and save the report to your computer. Your SAAS account will close out 60 days after the report is generated. Additionally, DEOMI only keeps reports on file for 90 days, so it is the responsibility of the administrator or unit to secure a copy of the report for historical purposes.|
23 What should I do when I get final DEOCS report?
|After the survey stop date, the administrator must sign into his/her account and request the report. The report should be ready for download within 4–6 working days. Upon the report being generated, the commander’s supervisor, the requesting commander, and the survey administrator will all receive a notification email stating the survey has been generated and is available for download. This email will also include the administrator account information so all parties can access the system and retrieve the PDF survey report. Additionally, once the report is generated, ensure you print the report and save it to your computer. Your SAAS account will close out 60 days after the report is generated. DEOMI only keeps reports on file for 90 days, so it is the responsibility of the administrator or unit to secure a copy of the report for historical purposes.|
24. How can I request more passwords?
|You can request more passwords from your SAAS. Log into your account and go to "add/download passwords" then click on "add more passwords" to increase authorizations or passwords. You can change the number of distributed passwords to reflect the correct percentage.|
25. What is the completion rate to receive a meaningful report?
|The DEOCS averages a 50% return rate DoD-wide. DEOMI does not recommend a specific percentage of completion to receive a meaningful report. Remember that the higher the completion rate, the higher the confidence level of your unit’s perceptions, , feelings, and opinions.|
26. I am trying to conduct the survey and the passwords are not working?
|The passwords will not work until the survey start date entered on the initial request. You can modify the start or end date to activate or reactivate the passwords.|
27. What do I do if I still have questions?
|Call the DEOCS Support team at DSN 854-2675/3260/4217 or commercial at (321) 494-2675/3260/4217, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Request New Assessment